Temp | Fin Contingent | Assistant Controller | Level 2(USD)Posted: 1 week ago
Top 3 Skills: Detail Oriented, Good Communication Skills, Ability to work independently.
*** is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries. As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. *** can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career – a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The Finance Division reports to the Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 3,000 employees worldwide. Finance protects the *** franchise by serving as Client of the Firm’s books and records, and by contributing to firm wide risk management and risk reduction. This division maintains relationships with ***’s various industry and government regulators, and also serves as the conduit of financial information to the outside investment community. Finance plays a critical role as advisor to ***’s various businesses and its senior management team.
The Global Tax Control Group acts as a liaison between the Firm’s Corporate Tax department and the Financial Control Group of accounting professionals.
The key responsibilities the Global Tax Control Group are:
• Ensure income tax balances are correctly reflected in the General Ledger and resulting financial statements, including current and deferred tax accruals, payments, transfers and related currency management
• Liaise with Finance Control Group to ensure information supplied to Corporate Tax for tax return purposes is correct, well controlled, and subject to a high level layer of review and analysis
• Ensure data provided to Corporate Tax is consistent across the various departments of FCG, and summarize data where necessary
• Facilitate change and improvement in the flow of data to and from Corporate Tax
• Provide firm-wide review and control over reserve and provision balances that are subject to GAAP to Tax differences
• Provide a point of contact for ad hoc queries on the booking of taxes
The Global Tax Control group is seeking to hire a financial accountant to join their team in New York. This role is unique in that it enables the candidate to view the Firm in its entirely, and play in integral part in the reporting and control of one of the largest expense items in the Income Statement.
Associate: The Associate role reports to the Manager within Global Tax Control. The specific responsibilities include:
• Responsible for tax bookings and review of overall tax balances on a monthly basis, with particular focus at quarter-ends
• Review of tax cost center and general ledger account usage
• Resolving or escalating ad-hoc queries on tax bookings
• Co-ordinates the annual review of deliverables from Financial Control Group to Tax, and documents changes and requests in the refresh of the existing Service Level Agreement
• Support the Manager with respect to the review and control of Reserves and Provisions at a firm-wide level
• Prepare quarterly summary schedules for key products and transaction types that generate book to tax differences
• Execution of domestic tax provision month-end close and ad-hoc journals by ensuring best practices with ensuring proper account ownership and general ledger maintenance
• Qualified accountant with experience in Financial and/or Tax accounting
• Strong accounting knowledge including the basics principles of accounting for deferred tax
• Strong Excel skills (including pivots and formulae)
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Experience in managing large amounts of data and the ability to analyse and interpret data to draw a meaningful conclusion
• Strong attention to detail
• Ability to work effectively under pressure and meet tight deadlines
• Demonstrated ability to solve complex problems while leveraging the technical experience of others
• Chartered Accountant or Certified Public Accountant or progress towards completing certification is desired, but not required